Onyekachi Duru Esq of LEGAL EMPERORS is the Proprietor, Managing Solicitor and content developer of www.legalemperors.com.ng. He is in charge of planning, evaluating, controlling, organizing and coordinating the activities of the firm and the contents of the website. He is an accomplished, achievement-driven and result-oriented attorney and academic with extensive professional and entrepreneurial experience in the research, teaching, lecturing, facilitation and practice of law. He is also an enthusiastic, responsible, diligent and efficient law graduate with good communication, organization, negotiation and inter-personal skills as well as has the ability to work under pressure and independently with initiative. He is a well informed, widely read and a well travelled Nigerian attorney and academic.
Born on 16th November, he has extensive experience and expertise in the teaching, research and practice of law. He has been a Facilitator/Lecturer for the School of Law, National Open University of Nigeria, Uyo Study Centre and a Lecturer for the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State, Uyo Study Centre and the National Open University of Nigeria [Centre for Life Long Learning]. Moreover, he has also worked as a research assistant/fellow for two Law Firms in Nigeria. He is and has been Company Secretary for several companies, and is on retainership with others for legal consultancy services. In addition, he is an accredited agent of the Corporate Affairs Commission and a member of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
Professional Experience and Expertise
Onyekachi’s approach to working with clients, has been based on listening to and understanding clients’ business and legal needs, then providing practical, cost-effective legal services to address those needs. The cornerstones of this approach are open and frequent communication, hands-on personal service, an unwavering commitment to excellence and subject matter expertise, and a strong sense of the lawyer’s duty to protect and defend his clients.
As an independent practitioner, Onyekachi is able to provide the highest quality legal services at rates below those charged by firms with equivalent experience and expertise. When project complexity and client needs dictate, Onyekachi frequently works in cooperation with his clients’ other lawyers, whether in-house counsel or at other law firms, to address those needs competently and comprehensively. Similarly, when additional or different subject matter experts are needed, those resources are sought.
Onyekachi focuses his legal practice in computer/information technology law, Internet law, corporate law and intellectual property protection (copyrights, trademarks and trade secrets). His computer/information technology law practice consists of representing and advising software and cloud computing/software-as-a-service (SaaS) vendors and other IT software and service providers and consultants –and their corporate customers – in a wide variety of contractual and intellectual property matters, including the preparation and negotiation of cloud software agreements, software license and development agreements, systems acquisition, distribution and OEM agreements, consulting services agreements, confidentiality and nondisclosure agreements; and other agreements, as well as the development of corporate software, Internet and e-mail use policies.
Onyekachi’s intellectual property law practice consists of representing and advising companies of all types and individuals regarding the protection, acquisition, assignment and licensing of intellectual property. This includes the protection and registration of copyrights in Nigeria, the selection, protection and registration of trademarks and Patent in the Commercial Law Registry, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment and advice and strategy regarding trade secret protection.
More about Onyekachi Duru Esq. is herein below presented in segments.
- Good Knowledge of Computer (Good Keyboard Skills & familiarity with Web, Ms. Word, Excel and Ms. PowerPoint Packages).
- Excellent researcher
- Excellent writing/editing/review skills.
- Very good communication/presentation skills.
- Academic Achievements/Awards/Prizes/Honors
- Faculty Prize for the best graduating student in the Faculty of Law for 2010/2011 academic year.
- Mma Obot Foundation Prize for the best graduating student in the Faculty of Law for the 2010/2011 academic year.
- Award of recognition as Nigerian Law School Golden Jubilee Best Orator (2013).
- Team Coordinator/Coach of the University of Uyo representatives at the 7th National Client Counseling and Interviewing Competition (2011). University Representative and Lead Speaker at the 2nd Annual International Humanitarian Law Moot Competition (2011).
- University Representative and 2nd Runner Up at the 6th Nigerian Client Interviewing and Counseling Skills Competition (2011).
- Head Clinician, University of Uyo Law Clinic, 2011.
- Assistant Head Clinician, University of Uyo Law Clinic, 2010.
- Accreditations and Affiliations
- Global Alliance for Justice Education (GAJE)
- Nigerian Bar Association Uyo, Akwa Ibom State Branch
- Christian Lawyers fellowship of Nigeria (CLASFON)
- Civil Liberties Organisation (Akwa Ibom State Chapter)
- Corporate Affairs Commission
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT)
- Trademarks, Patents and Designs Registry, Commercial Law Department, Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment
- Professional Foundation Course on Dispute Resolution
- Recent Conferences Attended
- 8th Worldwide Conference of the Global Alliance for Justice Education (GAJE) held between the 22nd to 28th July, 2015 in Eskişehir, Turkey.
- 2015 Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) held between the 21st to 28th of August, 2015 in Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2015 National Conference and Annual General Meeting of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) held on the 29th of August, 2015 in Lagos, Nigeria.
- 2015 International Council Meeting (ICM) of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) held between the 13th to 16th September, 2015 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Online Presence
- GoogleScholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hX6GlmgAAAAJ&hl=en
- Academia.edu: https://noun.academia.edu/OnyekachiDuru
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/onyekachi.duru.10
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/
- Twitter: @DuruEsq
Writing, Reading, Traveling and Exercising
- Some Publications
- Duru, “Responding to the Challenges of Natural and Industrial Catastrophes” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2140366.
- Duru, “Contrasting Rule-Making in a Civil Administration with Rule-Making under a Military Regime, in Nigeria” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2137931.
- Duru, “The Shrinking Scope of the Concept of Domestic Jurisdiction in Contemporary International Law” (2012) The Jurist 13.
- Duru, “An Appraisal of the Legal Framework for the Regulation of Nigerian Oil and Gas Industry, With Appropriate Recommendations” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2137979.
- Duru, “An Overview of the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules, 2009” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2156750.
- Duru, “Nationalization, Expropriation or Confiscation: A Critical Overview of the Pro and Contra Arguments Regarding the Effect of the Land Use Act on Land in Nigeria” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2157273.
- O. Duru, “Independence of Board of Directors under the Corporate Governance Codes in Nigeria: An Overview” (2012) available online at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2159533.
Onyekachi can help you answer all your legal questions. You are encouraged to contact us today to schedule a consultation with this skilled and experienced lawyer. If you have questions and need our assistance in any matter, please call (+234) 080-22148248 or email: email@example.com or use the contact form right now.
We offer reasonable fees for all our services